In less than two weeks, the city of Amsterdam will become a denim lover’s paradise with Amsterdam Denim Days 2016 kicking off April 11-17. The event, seven straight days of denim innovation, customization, shopping and mingling, is organized by the House of Denim in collaboration with Modefabriek, Kingpins, HTNK Fashion recruitment and consultancy and the city of Amsterdam.
The main event, Blueprint, occurs April 15-17 at the Westergasterrein, with the likes of Denham the Jeanmaker, Berto, Calvin Klein, Candiani and more taking part in special presentations and activities. Additionally, denim fans can find events throughout the city and week in stores and at other hot spots around Amsterdam.
Rivet will be part of the global denim community convening in Amsterdam for the denim celebration. As we plan our itinerary, we share with you some of the must-see events set to take place at denim extravaganza.
- Cycle or walk the “Indigo Route” and discover leading denim stores like Tenue de Nîmes, G-Star RAW, Scotch & Soda and Amsterdams Blauw. At Lee Jeans, nab a limited edition T-shirt free with a purchase of jeans.
- Get schooled in denim with a series of lectures and presentations in the Ketelhuis. Denim City and Jeanschool Co-Founder James Veenhoff will lead a discussion about post-consumer recycling, denim consultant Amy Leverton will share her new video series and Denham Head Designer Liam Maher will talk about the videos as an inspirational source for designers.
- Pick up new patches to customize jeans. Kings of Indigo will offer a selection of top-notch badges.
- Students of the local Jean School will be presenting three “classic and celebrated” denim items available to buy and customized.
- Amsterdam premium denim label, Denham the Jeanmaker, will present a special exhibition and live indigo-art demonstration on April 16 at Zuiveringshal. Artists Juan Manuel Gomez and Laura Montoya will be working together on a work of art comprising of eight Denham x Candiani golden rivet denims.
- The Vintage Showroom will debut a tribute to the Dustbowl era photography of Dorothea Lange. The exhibit, featuring pieces pulled from the showroom’s extensive denim collection, aims to capture the harsh realities of 1930’s in America with beautiful aged jeanswear and broken indigo pieces.
- Scotch & Soda and Amsterdams Blauw will present their ‘Blauw on Wheels’ truck, a travelling installation that explores the obsession with the indigo.
- Pick up indigo gems at the Denim Market, chock-full of new and vintage denim items, gadgets and accessories, as well as items from Black Rabbit, Deadstock Resurrection, Piero Turk, Indigo People, Giova Brusa and Butcher of Blue. The HTNK Curated Denim Store will also offer a number of edgy and innovative emerging brands.
- Add more to your bookshelf at the American Book Center pop-up shop which will be selling a range of lifestyle books devoted to denim.
- Get your hands wet in the Indigo Lab, where the team of Blue de Cocagne will demonstrate the indigo dyeing processes and share their artisanal techniques. Textiel Fabrique and Heartwear will showcase their skills and crafts, too.
- Lee 101 will celebrate the iconic Lee Rider jacket with four limited edition pieces hand-worked with embroidery. Live embroidery will take place throughout the event alongside stories of the Lee Rider.
- International Woolmark Prize menswear finalist Jonathan Christopher will showcase his capsule collection featuring machine washable wool denim fabric made in partnership with ITV Denim. The fabrication retains the natural denim look on the outside and resembles a soft Merino wool blanket on the inside. Designer labels like Calvin Klein Jeans and Hilfiger Jeans will also present their new lines.