Bossa is ramping up its sustainability efforts, announcing plans to incrementally grow its use of Better Cotton to 90 percent by 2018.
Better Cotton made up 35 percent of the mill’s total cotton consumption in 2016. Bossa has committed to increase its consumption to 60 percent in 2017. The mill aims to make Better Cotton 90 percent of its total cotton by 2018, while the remaining 10 percent will be organic cotton.
The Better Cotton Initiative (BCI), through a group of a multi-stakeholder organizations, defines sustainable methods for cotton growing. The group defines “Better Cotton” as fiber that is produced by farmers who minimize the harmful impact of crop practices, use water efficiently, care for the health of the soil, conserve natural habitats, preserve the quality of the fiber and promote fair work.
Bossa’s sustainability efforts began in 2006, when the mill introduced its first sustainable capsule collection, Re-set. It has expanded its green footprint with each season, offering 100 percent vegetable dyes, organic cotton fabrications and achieving 100 percent recycled denim.